…admittedly, my way. I was inspired by a recent catalog arrival:
I was surprised to see this hem style still popular but it had been updated with a large cowl-ish collar. I recognized the basic lines immediately as being achievable with Ottobre Design 2/2009 Style #2
I changed the length, taking out 2″, one above the waist and one below. Otto tops are usually pretty shapely and I need the waist and hip shaping to fall 1″ higher than designed.
I selected a 1X1 rib knit fabric in the peach color that I love the best. This was a Walmart purchase. I purchased yards and yards many years ago (at least 12) so I could keep the color in my wardrobe. Unfortunately it’s mostly cotton. It stains, pills and generally looks bad in a season or two. This is the last, for which I’m almost grateful, because now I can purchase more modern fiber mixes that do last longer.
I traced the pattern in my usual sizes: 38 neck/shoulder; 40 armscye; 46 side seam. I shortened as noted above and added 1″ ease to the sleeve–Otto likes narrower sleeves than I do. I’m not sure why my sleeve is 3/4 and Otto shows a full length sleeve. I did note on my pattern that this is a 3/4″ sleeve. I can grab this sleeve for use on other Otto knit patterns or easily add length. I’m surprised by not unhappy at the sleeve length. I also filled in the neckline by 1″. I’m very narrow shouldered and when I held the pattern up, the neckline ended right before my shoulder point. I’m never comfortable with a neckline that wide and for winter I want a little coverage. For my collar, I cut from fold to fold and 6″ wide.
I stabilised the shoulder and back neckline with fusible bias. I stitch the shoulders and then draped the collar onto the neckline. I first serged the collar to the neckline and then top stitched using my cover stitch machine. I’m so looking forward the Christmas. One of my “gifts” is the clear foot which will help me align the beginning and end stitching as well as actually stitch in the ditch. But the cover stitching, however imperfect, will keep the seam to the inside which is needed with this large floppy collar.
The entire garment was either serged or cover stitched. It’s amazing at how fast a garment can be created with these two machines. Of course it really does help to have a pattern which fits. I spent no time struggling with fit. I did drape the collar but only because previous attempts at measuring a neckline and cutting collars/facings/bindings have not been successful.
Critiques: This is not a slimming style for me. It does in fact reveal my tummy and hip to be quite large. I will always wear it similarly to the first picture with vest. Whereas most Otto tops are shapely and suggest that I’m busty as well as possessing a waist (both are not true) this pattern shows my true shape. The proportions might be better if I had not shortened the 2nd inch and because I can always cover that up, I think I will make this pattern a 2nd time just to check. I also wish I’d made that collar wider. It doesn’t lie as well as the inspiration. In fact I had to work with it for several minutes just to get this. I didn’t realize at the time that the neckline needed to be deeper, if I’m copying the inspiration. That’s something to remember for future copying.
I’m not wild about this style but will wear the garment because I love the color. I can see potential changes if I want to make the pattern again without making the exact same top. And yes, I would recommend it for others. My advice is to compare your measurments to the Ottobre chart and trace the size that corresponds to your measurements. Most likely you’ll find yourself tracing multiple sizes. That’s OK. It works for me.