My Pretty New Blouse– Otto 16 2016/2

dscn6365_resize

I removed the tissue after cutting the fabric; measured down 8 inches drew and cut my V neckline.

dscn6354_resize

I finished it with commercial bias tape which is folded to the inside, top and edge stitched for a nice finish.

Otto specifies a zipper back closure but I know from experience my block will slip over my head and slid down my body.  I do not fit woven blouses closely.  At most, their fitting will hint at a shape beneath. That’s because I don’t like my fabric constricting movement or people being able to count my curves (rolls). I did however decide to ‘fudge’ just a little. Just in case I did need a bigger opening, by creating a 4″ neckline vent closed by a single button

dscn6350_resize

and elastic loop

dscn6351_resize

Good lord! Both pics show that I need to do some serious thread clipping.

Let me back-up a sec and say that I did tape the back and front necklines immediately after cutting them. I know for a fact that necklines will stretch. Sometimes even stay stitching will cause the fabric to stretch. The back vent was formed by cutting the back on the selvege, and leaving the top 4″ open when stitching the CB seam. I pressed the seam open then top stitched to keep it open.

I echoed the same top/edge stitching on the sleeve hems

dscn6352_resize

and around that lovely mitered hem.

dscn6353_resize

Otto perfectly executed the miter. I interface my hems and serge finish the raw edge.  For this hem I left the miter unfinished; folded the raw edges together and stitched 1/4″ away. I press the seam open using a point presser before top and edge stitching.  It’s really a beautiful finish.

Fit is a bit sketchy.  I love the front view

front_resize

but admit I didn’t get the proportions right.  I think Otto used 2:1 i.e the top portion is twice width of the peplum.  Mine is closer to a 3:1 proportion.  This looks good on me. I got out my croquis and played with proportions. I could have cut the top portion at waist level. It would take more changes to the  peplum to reach a 2:1 than I wanted to make. Plus, I would not have liked the peplum at waist level with it long enough to equal the length above. It would have been almost a 1:1 proportion which doesn’t flatter me. (It turns me into a square peg atop a popsicle stick.) ATM I’m doubly glad I used my block because I did create a nice proportion. Had I copied Otto, proportions for me personally would have been off.

I did not add weight to the back hem. Part of the reason the back looks like this:

back_resize

Of course the fact I didn’t straighten the garment before pics also contributes.  The back feels just a touch tight between the shoulder blades. Something I’ve not experienced will all the previous versions using my block. I don’t know if I have many of this type fabric left.  I had 4 yards of it which tells me that it is old, old Walmart-$1-fabric old. Modern fabrics are woven differently and behave differently on the body.  Still I’m going to add 1/8″ to the back block.  That’s a total of 1/4″ ease between those shoulder blades and should be just enough.

I stitched the shoulders the same as I did all summer:  left shoulder 1/4″ deep right shoulder 3/8″ deep. That was the fix for the side swags on all my summer garments. I also added 1/4″ shoulder pads.

dscn6355_resize

They won’t be seen, as they would for sleeveless garments and I’m happy to be sporting ‘shoulders’ once again. (I don’t love my summer shoulderless appearance but I like even less the look of shoulder pads peeking out.)

To my surprise, this blouse has swags both left  and right  sides

right_resizeleft_resize

Surprised? No, I’m stunned.  All the shoulder draping was done to eliminate these very drag lines.  They’ve been non-existent on the garments I’ve made using my block.   They appear only when I start with a pattern and copy my shoulder slope to the pattern instead of starting with my block and copying details from the pattern to the block.  I’m really glad for this lovely, busy print which will disguise the swags from the cursory glance. To be honest, I’m not sure this is a fabric issue, which it could be, or that I didn’t do something, make some kind of adjustment that should have been made.

I have to admit this is more of an Inspired by than real Otto draft. Even the peplums had to be altered after tracing.  Despite problems noted above, I love my blouse. It makes me feel feminine. I did think this would be a one-and-done. It’s rather distinctive and multiples would be noticed. I used cheap tracing paper instead of my good paper felt (Aisle Runner purchased at Hobby Lobby). But I’ve kept the pieces. I can see at least one more version for summer and maybe another version with a button front opening. There could be more copies in my future.

 

 

 

Advertisements

2 responses to “My Pretty New Blouse– Otto 16 2016/2

  1. Bev, this top must be my favorite. You did a perfect job with the proportions of these parts. You could not have done a better job. Wonderful. Karendee

  2. Looks good. I like the pattern design. Nice job.
    Marcia