I really want pajamas that don’t look like worn out long johns, so I attempted PJ’s again using Otto #1 issue 2/2006 and KS 3661. My previous PJ’s weren’t satisfactory because of a pattern/fabric mismatch. I.E. I chose patterns for knits with more stretch than my fabric possessed. This time I made sure to stretch these fabrics and note that each had 50% stretch.
The light blue in the shirt is a cotton double-knit. The darker blue in the pants is a cotton/poly blend. I chose two different colors because I was trying to honor my promise to use older fabric. Also, I’ve been cutting down the yardage lengths for quite some time. It’s been at least 10 years since I bought 4 yard lengths. In that time, I have sewn many of the fabrics which would have been suitable for PJ’s. Matching top and bottom was out of the questions, but coordinating? Yes.
I created the neckline embroidery from 3 different digitized designs in my embroidery design stash. Within Embird Manager, I arranged the design on the Ruby Royal Hoop. I intended to save each separately for stitch out on the MC9500. Then I realized I needed to do ironing so why not let the Ruby stitch while I ironed? After all I couldn’t use her while I was ironing. Even with Ruby doing the stitch out there were roughly 15,000 stitches. Ruby completed in about 30 minutes. Yes she is so much faster than the MC9500. The 9500 would have needed 5 hoopings and at least an hour to create the same effect.
I once again used facings for the neckline. This time I used facings front and back; applied before stitching the shoulders. I really don’t like this procedure. The last time I applied a binding to the back neckline and had problems creating a smooth shoulder join. I had the same issue with two facings. I do believe this will be my last attempt. I spent a lot of time with the seam ripper and doing the basting-check-repeat dance. It’s much easier to sew together at the shoulder and then stitch the neckline.
I finished the edges of the front facing before applying it.
The back facing I planned to secure in place at the coverstitch. Finishing was limited to a few strips of SAS to hold the edges in place. I did draw a line where the facing ended on the public side of the back. Actually what I did was to feel along the edge and make a chalk mark. I then lined up the right needle so it fell just to the right side of the mark.
Not shown well, but I caught the facings in the armcye when I inserted the sleeves.
All the hems were finished at the cover stitch. I’m really loving my 900cpx and wishing I had purchased it much sooner. The cover stitch hem is quick, looks good and stretches with the knit fabric. Much better than any other hemming method. Because the 900cpx is already sitting out, I use cover stitching more often. I do change the needle threads to match the garment color, but I leave a basic color in the looper. Not that it’s hard to change thread in the looper, I’m just that lazy.
KS3661 (show inside out) is a super legging pattern –just be sure the knit has enough stretch. It could be completely finished at the serger. I prefer to add a buttonhole, secure the waistband and then insert the waistband elastic. All elastics are not created the same. Rather than pre-test, I create the waistband, insert the elastic through the buttonhole, adjust the elastic to fit my girth and then secure elastic ends and close the buttonhole. I’ve had the experience of serging elastic to the waistband and then having to rip out the stitching because the elastic was too loose or too tight. No thank you. I’d rather do it my way, because my way is done once and done forever.
I didn’t correctly line up the cover stitching on the waistband. I started to remove the first pass but decided I wanted to see how it would look if I over lapped two passes. Well, I’m pleased. I created a 3-row look which I love. My second thoughts about not buying a 3-needle cover stitch have been abated. Decoratively, I can achieve the same effect with little effort. My only other thought is that a 3-needle cover stitch could be used to create narrower pin-tucks. Still not a deal-breaker for me, because a 3-needle cover stitch gives me only 2 width choices. I much prefer the many choices provided by my stash of twin-needles designed for my sewing machine.
They went directly into the wash to remove all the marks and stabilizer. They did fit and feel nicely prior to that. So here’s hoping these are not too warm to wear. I never know really how a garment is going to wear…. until I wear it.